- How do I know how much to insure my property?
For buildings cover, our basis of settlement shall be the cost of reinstatement of the building destroyed or damaged. Sum insured should be at all times be maintained at no less than the full cost of replacement without depreciation for wear and tear.
- If I have a HDB policy, do I need to buy separate home insurance coverage?
Your HDB fire policy covers for the building structure only. You may consider taking up cover for your renovation, fittings and its contents, if you require more comprehensive coverage.
- I am a tenant. What coverage can I take up?
As a tenant, you can take up insurance for your own belongings in the house.
- What are the consequences of under-insurance?
At the time of the loss, if the sum insured is lower than 85% for Building and/or Renovation / Improvements and the sum insured is less than 100% for Contents and/or Valuables, the amount payable for such claim shall be proportionately reduced.
- Can I choose to cover Worldwide Personal & Family Liability and Family Worldwide Accidental Protection only?
You get free protection if you insure with more than one cover under Building, Renovation / Improvements, Contents or Valuables and your premium is more than S$105 (before GST).
- Can I choose to cover valuable items such as jewellery and antiques under the policy?
Yes. Please provide a list of articles and the respective sum insured. Total value should not exceed 50% of the contents sum insured.
- I have purchased some new items, how do I arrange for them to be covered?
Contact EQ Insurance and we will arrange for cover with payment of additional premium.
- Are my laptop and personal computers covered?
Yes, they can be covered under your contents.
- How to insure items of sentimental values?
There is no fixed value to sentimental items. You may get it valued and insured based on this valuation.
- How is cancellation refund calculated?
We will charge for the period of cover subject to a minimum premium of S$50+GST, if there are no claims. There will be no refund if there is a claim on the policy.
- Are bicycles parked and locked outside of the house covered?
Bicycles parked outside of the house, even if they are locked are not covered.
- What do I need to do in the event of an accident?
Remain calm. Exchange particulars with the third party(ies) involved. Take photographs of the damaged vehicle/s and accident site. In the event of an injury, you are required to file an accident report at any police station or neighbourhood police centres. If the vehicle cannot be driven, you may call 6844-8877 to arrange for accident towing to any of our authorised workshops. If you are in West Malaysia, you may call 603-7841-5757 for accident towing. You may proceed to file an accident report at any of our authorised workshops within 24 hours or the next working day if the accident occurs on a public holiday. No Claim Bonus (NCD) on renewal will be affected if accident is reported late.
- Do I need to pay excess for my own damage claim?
Yes. Excess is payable for your own damage claims according to the terms and conditions of your policy.
- Do I have to report to IDAC before proceeding to the workshop?
EQ Insurance is not participating in the IDAC scheme.
- The accident is not my fault but my NCD was penalised. How can I reinstate my NCD?
If you have been successful in your counter claim for uninsured losses such as excess and the loss of use, EQ Insurance will reinstate your NCD subject to no late reporting of accident. You will need to recover at least 80% of uninsured losses from the other party and provide copies of the letter of demand, discharge voucher and the settlement breakdown.
- What happens if my car was driven by an unnamed driver and meets with an accident?
For an unnamed driver the policy excess will be doubled. For unnamed, young, elderly or inexperienced driver, an excess of $3,000 will apply on top of the unnamed driver excess.
- How is the market value of the car determined?
The market value (at the time of loss) is determined by looking at the recent transactions for the same model and age of vehicle. These transacted values are reported in various publications, such as newspaper, car magazines, motoring guides and information from car dealers.
- I have fully paid up the loan on my vehicle. Can I choose to insure with a basic plan?
Yes. If the loan is fully paid up, you may choose to insure your vehicle under a Third Party, Fire & Theft or Third Party Only Cover. Our vehicle age limit which is based on the year of registration for the different coverage is as follows:
- Comprehensive Cover is up to 7 years old
- Third Party, Fire & Theft Cover is up to 12 years old
- Third Party Only Cover is up to 15 years old
- Will my Personal Accident policy cover me, if I am stationed overseas for a period of time?
The Personal Accident policy will cover you up to 90 consecutive days overseas, at a time. If you intend to stay any longer, we may agree to extend, subject to underwriting and additional premium.
- Can I take up policy myself if I am serving National Service?
No, the policy excludes occupations in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Police Force and Civil Defence Force (other than as a Serviceman under National Service Reservist Training).
- If I have a personal accident policy with another insurer, can I take up another with EQ Insurance? Will both policies pay for claims?
Yes, subject to our acceptance. In the event of a claim for medical expenses, we will only reimburse for the amount that have not been reimbursed under any other policy.
- Are renewal premiums guaranteed?
No, renewal premiums are not guaranteed.
- Can a person claim for medical expenses due to illness?
No, the policy pays only for death and/or total and permanent disablement due to accident.
- Do you have any administrative charges if I choose to cancel my policy?
Yes, we charge or refund the premium as follows subject to a minimum premium of S$50 + GST.
Period of Cover Short-Period Premium Refundable 3 months and below 40% of annual Premium 6 months and below 60% of annual Premium 9 months and below 80% of annual Premium More than 9 months 100% of annual Premium
No refund premium will be granted for any unexpired Period of Insurance if any claim(s) has been made during the current Period of Insurance.
We have the right to cancel this Policy or any section or part of it by giving You 30 days’ written notice and upon cancellation, You will be granted a pro-rated refund of the total premium paid corresponding to the unexpired Period of Insurance.
- When can I take up this policy for my child?
Child(ren) age between 15 days and 18 years who are unmarried and unemployed, natural children, legal step children and legally adopted children can be enrolled as a dependent of either parent.
- Does this policy cover me, if I am stationed overseas? Do I have to inform EQ Insurance?
The coverage automatically ceases when you are out of Singapore for a period of 90 consecutive days. You will have to inform EQ Insurance, if you have an overseas posting and subject to our acceptance, an additional premium will be payable.
- Does this policy cover pre-existing conditions?
No, all pre-existing conditions are excluded.
- Will my policy cover me, if I am travelling overseas for medical treatment?
If you are travelling specifically for medical treatment outside of Singapore, we will pay the charges up to equivalent treatment in a Singapore Restructured Hospital even if the overseas charges are higher.
- Is there a deductible or co-payment on the policy?
No, there is no deductible or co-payment on this policy.
- Are SARS and bird flu covered?
Yes, they are covered if you are hospitalised or had surgery due to SARS and bird flu and provided the diseases do not warrant you for isolation or quarantine by law in the event of an epidemic.
- Is psychiatric treatment covered?
All treatments related to psychiatric conditions are not covered.
- Are pregnancy related treatments cover?
Pregnancy, childbirth, abortion, infertility and all complications related to pregnancy are excluded, except accidental miscarriage.
- Is day surgery covered?
Yes, it is covered under Hospital & Surgical Policy unless medically necessary.
- Which policy should I claim for the medical expenses, if I have both MediShield and EQ SurgiGUARD?
You can file the claim against your Shield policy and claim against EQ Insurance for the co-payment and deductible of the Shield policy.
- What does EQ MaidGUARD cover?
EQ MaidGUARD provides comprehensive coverage, which includes:
- S$40,000 Personal Accident (PA) Coverage (Death and Total Permanent Disablement)
- Up to S$3,000 Medical Expenses
- S$10,000 Repatriation Expenses
- Up to S$30,000 Hospital and Surgical Expenses (per year limit)
- Up to S$30 per day for Wages & Levy Reimbursement (Maximum 30 days)
- Up to S$500 Re-Hiring Expenses
- What is Reimbursement of Indemnity Paid to Insurer?
The reimbursement limits your S$5,000 bond liability to S$250 if the breach of the bond is not due to your negligence or fault. It is an optional feature in EQ MaidGUARD. Every foreign maid employer in Singapore has to place S$5,000 as a deposit with Ministry of Manpower. If the maid runs away or gets pregnant, for example, the employer may lose the entire sum or the bond will be called up. However, if you add the option, you will be able to limit your liability to only S$250.
- Can I still opt for the Reimbursement of Indemnity after the policy commences?
Yes, you can add within the first 30 days from the effective date of the policy but your liability increases to S$500.
- Can I purchase just the S$5,000 Guarantee bond without the accompanying insurance, which plan should I buy?
Our guarantees come with the insurance in our plans.
- Why does MOM require a 14 or 26 months insurance and bond when they only issue a 12 or 24 months work permit?
Am I being charged premium for the extra 2 months of insurance and bond? For every insurance and bond, there will be an additional 2 months cover as this is a requirement by MOM. It is a precaution that in any event/ reason the maid overstay in Singapore after her work permit expired, she is still covered under the insurance.
For EQ MaidGUARD, the premium is charged on a 12 or 24 months period, no additional premium is charged for the extra 2 months.
- If my maid's passport expires in less than 2 years' time, will I still be able to get a 2-years work permit from MOM?
No. MOM will only issue a work permit which will expire one month before the passport expires.
- When will the guarantee bond records be transmitted to MOM?
EQI will electronically transmit to MOM from Monday to Friday. For new maid cases, policy/guarantee details will be transmitted to the MOM within 7 calendar days of insurance effective date. For renewal of work permit, policy/guarantee details will be transmitted to the MOM within 35 calendar days of insurance effective date.
- Will I still be liable to pay for the S$5,000 Security Bond to MOM when I have already purchase the Guarantee from EQI?
EQI is acting as a guarantor by providing a Letter of Guarantee to MOM on behalf of employers so that they can apply for a maid without paying out S$5,000 cash upfront to MOM. In the event that employer or maid has breached the MOM's rules and conditions, MOM will call up the bond from EQI which will in turn recover from you.
- What is the difference between S$2,000 Medical Expenses and S$15,000 Hospital and Surgical Expenses?
Medical expenses are for accidents only and you can claim for out-patient treatments. For example, if your maid accidentally cuts her hand and requires a few stitches. Hospital and Surgical expenses covers both accidents and illnesses, expenses have to be incurred as an inpatient. E.g. maid is admitted to hospital for day surgery. However, if illness is a pre-existing condition, then it is not claimable.
Eligibility & Application
- Who is eligible to apply for EQ Travel?
Insured Person(s) must be residing in Singapore, who are Singaporeans, Permanent Resident or Foreigners with a valid Employment Pass, Work Permit, Dependant Pass or Student Pass.
- Who can be covered under a Family Plan?
- Single Trip Plan: Maximum 2 adults travelling with any number of child(ren). The 2 adults need not be related but the child(ren) must each be legally related to either of the 2 adults.
- Annual Plan: Maximum 2 adults who are husband and wife and legally married to each other with any number of child(ren) who must be the legal child(ren) of the 2 adults.
- Can my child be covered in full just like an adult?
Yes, provided your child is aged 18 and above and have applied and paid for an Individual cover.
- What is the maximum duration for a trip to be covered?
- Single Trip Plan: Coverage is up to 182 days.
- Annual Plan: Coverage is up to 91 days for each trip.
- How soon can I activate EQ Travel?
EQ Travel can be activated up to 90 days prior to departure from Singapore.
- Can I activate EQ Travel after my departure date?
No. You must purchase EQ Travel before departing from Singapore.
Benefits & Coverage
- If I am already suffering from some medical illnesses or conditions, will I be able to claim for such treatment during my trip?
No. EQ Travel will not cover treatment for any pre-existing medical condition for which you are already receiving medical advice or treatment recommendation, medical treatment, diagnosis, consultation or prescribed drugs within a 12 months period prior to your trip.
- If I sustained an injury or illness whilst overseas, can I continue with my medical treatment upon my return to Singapore?
Yes. EQ Travel will cover the medical expenses necessarily incurred for medical treatment or follow-up treatment in Singapore for an injury or illness sustained whilst overseas for up to 30 days if medical treatment had already been sought overseas or up to 7 days if no prior medical treatment was sought overseas.
- Does EQ Travel cover dental treatment?
Yes. EQ Travel covers the cost of dental treatment to restore sound and natural teeth caused by an accident.
- If I have to cancel my trip because I have been refused entry at the immigration checkpoint, will I be covered under the Trip Cancellation?
No. EQ Travel does not cover any loss caused by government regulations or control. The Trip Cancellation will cover only the following events:
- You or your travel companion’s death or serious illness or compulsory quarantine, or
- Unexpected strike, riot or civil commotion beyond your control at the planned destination, or
- Serious damage to your principal residence from fire, flood or similar natural disaster which require you to be present at the principal residence, or
- Witness summons or jury service.
If I have to cancel my trip because of natural disasters at the planned destinations, such as typhoon, floods, earthquake etc, will I be covered under the Trip Cancellation?No. EQ Travel do not cover trip cancellation due to natural disasters. The Trip Cancellation will cover only the following events as mentioned above in point no.10.
- I have realised my bag has been stolen when I left it on the table while taking some photographs. Can I claim for this loss of baggage?
No. EQ Travel does not cover loss, damage or theft of insured’s property left unattended in a public place.
- Are there any excluded sports or activities?
Accidents while engaged in racing, motor rallies and competitions, mountaineering (reasonably requiring the use of ropes), rock climbing and hiking/trekking in remote areas unless with licensed guides, pot-holing, any activity being airborne (whether suspended or not), not limiting to parachuting, hand gliding, bungee jumping, sky diving or high diving, underwater activities requiring the use of artificial breathing apparatus except leisure scuba diving under the supervision of a qualified diving instructor, sports or games in a professional capacity are excluded.
- Is the premium refundable?
- Single Trip Plan: No refund of premium once the Certificate of Insurance has been issued.
- Annual Plan: We will charge or refund the premium as follows:
Period of Cover
Short-Period Premium Refundable
2 months and below
80% of Annual Premium
4 months and below
40% of Annual Premium
6 months and below
20% of Annual Premium
More than 6 months
0% of Annual Premium
- What should I do if I need any emergency assistance while I am travelling?
You may call our 24 Hours Emergency Help Line at (65) 6836-7969.